22 April 2009

Introducing Peace Journeys

I have begun a journey to bring together several of my passions: spirituality, hiking, teaching, and coaching. I have now officially started Peace Journeys, LLC. At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I'd like to share some details.

For people who want to feel more comfortable in the woods or more confident taking their children (or other people's children) into the woods, I am teaching introductory backpacking for adults. The courses will be held on the Appalachian Trail in NC, TN, VA, and MD. There's no explicit spiritual program included, though many hikers find renewal just by immersing themselves in nature, living simply, and walking along a trail.

For people who want to feel more inner peace or more aligned with their core selves, I am offering a spiritual program to help people clarify their personal spiritual belief systems, that they may more consciously live those beliefs in everyday life. (I use the adjective "spiritual," because it works across religions--the idea is to get really clear on your personal belief system, whatever that is.)

This spiritual program, which I call A Seeker's Journey, can be done anywhere, but from my experience, the more a person immerses himself in nature, the more profound the connection with What Truly Matters to him. So, I am siting several programs on the A.T. for people comfortable with being in the woods; these I have called "Hiking Trips for Seekers." But I am also interested in facilitating Seekers' Journeys for churches, spiritual groups, and community groups at their chosen locations (limited to the southeast and mid-Atlantic states for now).

Finally, for people who are on a journey of peace and contentment, I am focusing my coaching in the realm of spiritual integrity. This is where the rubber meets the road... So, you are really clear on your spiritual belief system; in fact, you have language for it that you can access at a moment's notice. Great! Next step: consider how your spiritual belief system matches up with your daily-life belief system, and intentionally shift the latter to be more aligned with the former. This is not a multi-hour workshop, but a multi-month process. Although focused on the individual, several people can engage the process as a group, to increase the support and decrease the individual cost.

Just like when a person starts a thru-hike, I'm both nervous and excited. But also just like thru-hiking, as long as I maintain a clear vision, I only have to focus on walking each day's 10 miles and the long distance will take care of itself. (See my hiking blog for details.)

I would be delighted for you to check out my website at peacejourneys.com. If as you've read this, a friend, family member, or church group comes to mind, please share my website with them.

If you have comments, questions, or suggestions, please leave a comment here.

Wishing you happy trails, in peace and light!
-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment