31 December 2008

The Subjectivity of Big

This quote came across my desk today:

"Set a goal to achieve something that is so big, so exhilarating that it excites you and scares you at the same time. It must be a goal that is so appealing, so much in line with your spiritual core, that you can't get it out of your mind. If you do not get chills when you set a goal, you're not setting big enough goals." - Bob Proctor

When I read this, some part of me shouts, "Amen, Brother!" But it must be the voice of my Highest Self--that part of me that resides closest to Spirit, farthest from the Real World. The part of me closest to the Real World says, "Well, I might as well give up now, cuz that big a goal is too overwhelming to even consider."

That's not to take anything from Bob Proctor. His words flow from the wisdom of his experience, and I am not saying that I don't agree with him. In fact, I know for myself that if I don't have some amount of fear in the attempt of something new, then I'm not challenging myself.

The good news for me is that "big" is subjective. I get to decide what is big for me, which may or may not be something that gives me chills. At the same time, I reserve the right to let my own personal big get bigger with each big goal I achieve.

So, on this New Year's Eve, a good question for My Self--all of my parts--is: How big am I willing to be in 2009?

No comments:

Post a Comment