07 January 2009

In Pursuit of Big

So I've got some Big Plans for 2009. Maybe you do, too.

As I stated in my previous post, I believe that big is subjective. In other words, only I get to decide what's big for me. But by definition, something is big for me if it's bigger than anything I've done before.

And that means to pursue the big thing, I must step into the Unknown. And that step generates Fear of the Unknown. Which means that some loud voice in my head says, "Don't go there! Stay here where it's familiar and safe!"

To counter the fears and respond to that loud voice, I bring to mind something in my past that was big to me at the time. And I consider what I did to successfully achieve that big thing, seeking guidance or a blueprint that I might apply to this one.

For me, today, I look to my recent hike of the Appalachian Trail for inspiration. (See my hiking blog for details.) The hiking itself wasn't the big part for me, as I'd hiked 1000 miles previously; not much Unknown there. But, considering the whole of quitting my job, selling my house, living homefree, hiking, and starting a new chapter in life, there was plenty of Unknown to be found.

Despite the fears of that Unknown, I took steps to make it happen, or more accurately, to allow it to unfold. And now I am an A.T. 2000-Miler and well into the brilliant new chapter in my life.

May I follow in those footsteps to allow the unfolding of my Big Plans for 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment